Friday, October 12, 2007

Geek Poem

This being my first posting, I don't really have much to say. I am a "Techno-weenie" as my sister would love to tell you. Often times friends and family ask me what it is that I do, when I tell them, their eyes tend to glaze over and they get the slack jaw followed closely by the jell-O neck, while a little bit of drool forms at the corner of their mouths. So I've come to the conclusion that I need to just tell them that I'm a janitor. The nice thing about telling people that I'm a janitor is that they can grasp that reality with one hand and no need for further explanation. To top it off, I'm not lying.. really. I do go in and set things up, or tear them down per requests from people outside of my pay grade, not to mention I also get to clean up other people's messes, which is always a joy, almost as fun as shaving my head with a cheese grater or dosing my shorts with gasoline while standing in the middle of the Burning Man festival.

To help people out with what I do at work, I wrote a poem:


Here I sit, watching the new server installed and ready to go.
I type in a command, nothing
I go to the command line, type the command, still nothing.
In my head I hear it, pulsating, pounding just below the surface
I try something new, still the system thumbs its nose at me giving me a raspberry...
The roar grows louder, slowly reaching it's crescendo, building
roaring, ripping at my mind, my fists clench in undeniable rage
Fatal error flashes on the screen, the roar becomes a primal scream
AAARGHH!! the volcanic scream is now a maelstrom of lights and sounds
building, roiling, screaming, pounding... until it pushes the envelop of sanity and maniacal genius into being one
The gurgle rises to the top, bursting forth in one single completely meaningful word

"FUCK!!!"

Unfortunately, the meaning is lost in translation from my mind to my mouth and body and comes out as a whimper followed by a thud as my head hits the desk...

8 comments:

Bwahhaha said...

Techno-Weenie,
I love this poem as much as I love the others. You are my favorite, talented,more than slightly warped, always funny little bro. Not to be confused with the other favorite, talented just slightly warped little bro.....

Strong first blog entry.

mielikki said...

you can't see me, but I am laughing as I imagine your head bouncing off the desk. Good post, and expect to see some of my bloggy friends, very soon

CamiKaos said...

Wooo Hooooooo

The infamous MM has come out of hiding!!!!!

and I know about it. I feel the power coursing through my veins...

Mielikki should never have told me!

Nice post.

Oh, and Hi.

MM said...

HIYA!!

Mie- I pulled her out of the woodwork, now that she has an account she can comment on yours too. Muuuahahahaha!!!

Hi CK, thanks and hi to you too.. :)

sybil law said...

Now I will have to start stalking you.
Good post!
Now, maybe you cna help me with my computer....
Kidding!

Bubblewench said...

So you've been pushed out of the closet.. bout damn time... Love the poem! I've done that..

David in DC said...

Welcome to blogging.

Great poem.

I'm glad to have some place to go for nuggets of wisdom. I've grown tired of McDonald's variety of nuggets and had been hoping to branch out.

Best,
DiDC

Jamie said...

I love the poem. The imagery of shaving your head with a cheese grater was especially beautiful.