Thursday, October 18, 2007

der Housen

Hello good people of blogspot.

As you may have read on Mielikki's blog, we went to go look at a house last night. It has the potential of being a beautiful home, warm and fulfilling. I sent a link to my sister to see it and her comment basically boiled down to this method of restoration.
1) Go into the house and measure the square footage.
2) double check the square footage, just in case (we do come from a family of measure twice, cut once people)
3) Go to the gas station
4) Pour the gasoline into the house, light a match, run and then watch it burn. (Strange advice from an insurance industry employee)

I don't know, I like the house, Mie likes the house too, I think it has plenty of potential, minus the ugly ass master bathroom which looks like it needs some sort of exorcism to rid it of the demons of stupidity of who ever thought that it was a great idea to put jungle wallpaper, animal print shower curtains and a leopard print lamp shade into one room.

OUT DEMONS!! BE GONE!!

Let me know what you think. I've got a pretty good eye for detail, I should, it's the only one that I have left since the leopard attack in the jungle(bathroom)...

http://www.photomax.com/web/mem_album_photo_slide_show.php?TrackId=1628413&RandomId=2101888593

8 comments:

Jamie said...

The pictures must not do it any justice, since they remind me of documentation of damage for an insurance claim.

mielikki said...

you really have to have been on the inside of the house to see the space it offers. Like MM, I see wonderful potential, despite the possessed bathroom. And the backyard. Sigh.
With time and love, I think it could be great!

Bubblewench said...

I see the potential, I see it could be a beautiful house. I see the charm and why you would like it. But I'm still with your sister. RUN AWAY.

I totally all the wood, the kitchen has great space. You're looking at 5-10 years to get it to the point where it looks good. You'll be living in the living room for awhile too to get the bedrooms and bathrooms done first.. whatever you like to do.. I'm just floored at how much work it needs. I thought our house needd work? We must have bought the house for lazy people.

A lot of time. A lot lot lot of time.....

I would at least look at a couple of more houses before you make a decision.

Ok. Done my house rant.

Bubblewench said...

Oh, and was that storage damage caused by the escaped leopard? One mean MF leopard!

sybil law said...

I am so with your sister. I can completely imagine how it COULD look, because I do that all the time. But unless you have no job and are a millionaire, that house is gonna cost some serious cake and time to get into order.
It's got a serious mold problem, and I would guess foundation, too. And once you get into all that, then you'll find out the plumbing all has to be replaced, and then the roof, and then the floorboards, and etc, etc.
Seriously not trying to dash your hopes, but that house is in baaad shape.
And I speak from experience. We redid a 100 year old farmhouse. It sure seemed fun - at first. That got old REAL fast.
Look at some other houses, like bubblewench said!!!!

CamiKaos said...

it could be such a great house!

It needs work, a lot of work, but we bought a 75 year old house that the first time I walked into it I wanted to start ripping off a bubbled up piece of wall paper.

We're redoing the whole house for the most part but you know what MM, we love our home. It is more our home for the effort we have put into it.

I say it could be a gem.

MM said...

I was told once that when you take a house in that condition and rebuild it, you're also rebuilding your soul and yourself emotionally. Maybe that's the attraction. Or it could be fun watching Mielikki fighting with the jungle print wall paper, while cursing the people who put it up. :D

I've already looked into the costs of making it livable. Roughly $32k to move in and be healthy. For those who've met me, I have a real issue with being able to sit still when something needs to be done. So it would keep me going until it's done.

mielikki said...

That is a fight I fully intend on winning, despite the fools who put it up. . .
and yes, it would keep you busy, but I can find ways to get you to sit still, once in a while ;).